Well, there are records, and there are records, all are an outstanding achievement, Gav and Joe have just chalked up a few more during their epic 63 day Kite Buggy journey through Mongolia/China Gav emailed some amazing facts from their journey this morning, just check these out.
We have just finished another Mongolia/China adventure. I’ve pasted the summary from my blog below Is there a record for longest point to point distance? XC paragliding style. 265km on day 47 is a good start. How about largest rude picture in a gps track? Wrap up. We never planned a route for this trip, only a starting point and number of day’s. The main goals were having fun, finding challenging terrain and visiting the areas of Mongolia we haven’t already seen. If we knew how mountainous snowy and tree lined the northern route through the Khangai mountains was we probably would never have attempted it. 63 days. 5377km traveled. One day without wind. Prevailing wind direction W/NW/N. 3 snow storms. Highest altitude 1964m. Distance walked, approximately 60km (not easy towing a heavy buggy). Top speed 69kph. Salami consumed 5 meters. Continuous distance traveled overland via train, bus and buggy- 9500km. New record for longest kite buggy trip, previous record 3693km, Mad Way Mongolia 2015. New record for longest 24hr cross country distance 317km. Previous record 260km, Mad way Mongolia 2014. New record for longest distance traveled using kite power 5377km, previous record 5067km, Wings over Greenland.
Kites used in order of use. Joe- 3.5 meter Peter Lynn Uniq, strengthened and modified for extra performance. 4m high aspect single skin, home made. 2.4m 2 line NPW (NASA para wing model 21) home made. 1.5m NPW home made. 6m Peter Lynn phantom. Gavin- 4m depower Uniq, home made. 4m high aspect single skin, home made. 2.4m NPW, home made. 1.5m NPW, home made. 2.5m Uniq, strengthened and tuned. 6m phantom. The blue buggy used by Joe was my buggy from the previous 2 trip’s, its done 10,600km, it’s built very strong 35kg empty. The red buggy I used is built lighter and has narrower tyres, 25kg. I made the buggys, motor/generators, tents and most of the kites in the Peter Lynn show kite factory in Ashb
From the kite bugging community around the world,
we salute you both
- Fastest Barrow Tyres – Luk Stanek (Canada) – 72.80mph, 117.16km/h
- Fastest Beach Racer Tyres – Tom Mulligan aka RedSkyHorizon (England) – 66.00mph, 106.21km/h
- Fastest Bigfoots Tyres – Stephan van Bommel and Maikel Boels 110.00kmh / 68.35mph
- Fastest Buggy Backwards – Randy Oldenbürger, (Denmark) 54.25mph, 87.30km/h
- Fastest Buggy Pilot – Brian Holgate (USA)- 84.10mph, 135.34km/h
- Fastest Depower in a Kite Buggy – 9.5m Peter Lynn F-Arc – Brian Holgate (USA) – 79.70mph, 128.26km/h
- Fastest Female Buggy Pilot – Tami Fraser (USA) – 58.80mph – 94.62km/h
- Fastest Flexi Buggy – Will McKean aka Ginge (England) 63.20mph, 101.71km/h
- Fastest Kite – 2.7m Peter Lynn Vapor – Pilot Brian Holgate (USA)- 84.10mph, 135.34km/h
- Fastest Kite Bike – Gannet aka Peter Foulkes (New Zealand) – 59.41mph, 95.60km/h
- Fastest Landsegler Wheels – Stephan van Bommel (Netherlands) 77.05mph, 124.00km/h
- Fastest LEI in a Kite Buggy – 6m Peter Lunn Fury – Stephan van Bommell (Netherlands) – 68.98mph, 1111.00km/h
- Fastest Pilot on Grass – Jay Taylor (England) 62.10mph, 99.94km/h
- Fastest Pilot on Ice – Arjen van der Tol (Netherlands) 61.83mph, 99.50km/h
- Fastest Pilots on Sand – Stephan van Bommel 72.80mph – 116.00km/h
- Fastest Race Buggy – Arjen van der Tol (Netherlands)– The buggy XXtreme Apexx 82.89mph, 133.40km/h
- Fastest Side Ride Buggy One Buggy, two pilots, two kites – 45.55mph, 73.30km/h
- Furthest Distance Kite Bike Pilot – Peter Foulks aka Gannet (New Zealand) 213.00 miles, 342.79km
- Furthest Distance Solo 12hrs – Ziggy Racek (Canada) – 289.80miles, 466.39km
- Furthest Distance Solo 24hrs – Stefan Berkner G2017 (Germany) – 643.11 miles, 1035.00km
- Furthest Distance Solo 24hrs Female – Petra Tschampel (Germany) – 325.59miles, 524.00km
- Furthest Distance Team 24hrs – Team Libre Netherlands (SPO) – 652.43miles, 1050.00km
- Furthest Distance Travelled (Unsupported) – Gavin Mulvay & Joe Steffert (Mad Way Mongolia 16) – 3,341m, 5377km
- Furthest Distance Travelled across Country 24hrs – Gavin Mulvay & Joe Steffert (Mad Way Mongolia 16) 317km, 196m
- Youngest Buggy Pilot to Break 50mph – Nicolas Jackson (Denmark) 14years 12 days – 51.14mph – 83.20km/h
This entry was posted on Wednesday, June 29th, 2016 at 6:38 pm. It is filed under Adventure, Gav Mulvay, Photos, World Records and tagged with Buggying Records, China, Gav Mulvay, Joe, Mongolia. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
Comments are closed.
If you feel popeyethewelder.com has helped you in anyway regarding kite buggying, and you feel you would like to make a contribution towards the funding of running this site then please do so.
Your donation no matter how small, will be gratefully received and much appreciated. PTW