1. Your Name, nickname, (race number if applicable)and country
Gerd Tschampel, pirate, G 1160, Germany
2. How did your involvement in this sport begin?
I was flying a tractionkite on the beach und someone told me:”On the island of Fanø you can rent a buggy and drive over the beach with your kite.” I had never seen a buggy in my life, but I went to Fanø and in the local kite shop I rented a lynnbuggy for three days. This way I started.
3. Where is your local buggy location, and where is your favourite location and why?
My spot is Fanö, http://www.kitebuggyfano.dk/ ,I like the cruising along the water.
4. How many buggies have you had and what types?
I started with Peter Lynn followed the Scooter by Windtools, then the Viking and since 2008 BBS-Concept.
5. What are your favourite moments in this sport and why?
The 24h race of SPO. I like riding for hours and those special conditions during the night.
6. What are your greatest achievements in this sport, tell us the stories behind them?
My best experience was the 24h race of SPO in 2011: Obsession – or when madness is a good thing.
7. What is your favourite and least favourite manoeuvre and why?
I don´t have a favourite manoeuvre, I like relaxed cruising, the speed is not important for me. I enjoy the feeling of sailing.
8. If you could give any advice to an average buggier to take them to the top level, what would the advice be, and why?
Buggy-kiting is not your profession it is your hobby, the only thing that is really important:HAVE FUN!
9. Tell us about the scariest situation you have ever been in when buggying?
I was sitting in my buggy. No more wind. I was barely able to keep the kite in the air when suddenly I was pulled out of the seat extremely violent. Before I could react, I was flying and the kite was collapsing above me. The landing was hard. Three ribs and one lumbar vertebra was broken.
10. Over the years, you have used many different types of kites, which kites do you rate as your favourite makes, and why?
For the first lesson of a beginner I like the NASA-wing, really indestructible. In the intermediate class I was flying BROOZA by PKD for a long time and now I recently changed to the TOXIC by HQ. In the high performance class I started with the RM+ by JOJO WINGS and nowadays I like the VAPOR by PETER LYNN. For very strong and gusty winds I prefer the Z-1 by LIBRE in small sizes. Until about 6 m² I prefer intermediate kites and only for the larger sizes I choose high performance kites.
11. What is left in the sport that you want to achieve?
Even more is possible in 24 hours.
12. Who do you believe are the top three pilots in your chosen sport?
There are many good pilots, each in his own art. Speed- tricks-endurance- manoeuvres. Really important is – FUN
13. Anything else you would like to add
We will meet – on the beach.