Rules for World Records and Personal Bests
Collated and logged by popeyethewelder
RULES For “World Record” Attempts
The following criteria has to be met to be classed “official” amongst the Kite buggying fraternity, nobody especially the existing record holder wants any mistakes made, so in the interest of safety, accuracy, accountability, and to remove any doubt what so ever, the following criteria is asked for when submitting a World Record
1. Two dedicated GPS units minimum (Three is better) and MUST be attached to the buggy, not the pilots arms or legs, Recon goggles with built in GPS are permitted as they are fitted to the pilots head, and also Garmin Virb Elite GPS sports Cam
(a) When two GPS units are used, the lower reading of the two will be the reading recorded. If one unit fails, and only one unit is working the record WILL NOT be recognised.
(b) When three GPS units are used the middle reading of the three is the one recorded. If one unit fails, the lower of the two units is the one recorded
(c) Dedicated GPS units must be used; a mobile phone is NOT a dedicated GPS unit.
2. Track/data logs from at least one of the GPS units MUST be sent to us popeyethewelder at gmail dot com for viewing verifying and recording (make sure your GPS allows this)
3. At least one responsible witness must be present the whole time, for safety reasons we would prefer two, these will play a crucial role.
(a) Witnesses will have checked/reset/zeroed GPS units prior to the buggy moving by one of the named responsible witness (two witnesses are preferred for safety reasons)
(b) Witnesses can also take video footage, most people have this facility on their mobile phones nowadays, or use dedicated video products. A video of the record attempt returning to buggy camp and showing the GPS units data on the buggy as soon as the Buggy has stopped moving is highly desirable.
(c) Witnesses can also take photographs of the record attempt, and take photos of the GPS data.
4. On-board video footage is not only great to watch; it will greatly help the verification process and is advised, a video proves you were at least in a kite buggy in the conditions you describe in your write up, rather than driving in or on a motor powered vehicle at a lake bed or beach.
(a) Having a camera showing the live GPS data on the buggy is highly desirable.
If some of the data above is not submitted, it is purely at the record keepers discretion if the submitted record is valid or not, the attempted record will be investigated and discussed and decided upon by a selected committee, (various well respected Buggy Pilots across the world) to determine if the record will remain valid or not. It is highly recommended you follow the above criteria to avoid this. For submitting any kite buggying World Record, Please send the above data to the above email address. Exceptions For any kite buggying world record, there are no exceptions all categories must follow the above criteria.Garmin Virb Elite GPS sports Cam added to criteria of dedicated GPS Contact here
Only Personal Bests with a photo of the GPS or Speedo will be verified by us and allowed on the record data page. Speeds over 65mph must be accompanied by an account and conditions on the day. A witness is always handy to verify your speed and is recommended. (Wind speed and direction, buggy type, kite flown, surface type, location etc.) No point in any cheating and holding the GPS out of your car window, we only need a few details
- Your Name
- The surface the personal best was done on
- Your Country and Location
- Your speed / distance (mph or kmph) (km or miles)
- And finally photographic evidence of the GPS or Speedo send to Popeyethewelder via the contact tab at the top (Don’t just post on a forum or Facebook as we may well miss your record)
- Head your email Buggy PB
Speeds of over 30mph can be dangerous to both yourself and the public. Personal and public safety is paramount when attempting a personal best speed. Use suitable safety equipment, have someone watching over you in case anything goes wrong and be very aware of any members of the public in your vicinity Make sure you have insurance Make sure your buggy and equipment are up to the job. Most of all do not take risks, do not come to us if you have a problem, we do not endorse any speed attempt.
DISCLAIMER: Be sure that you are competent to undertake your proposed attempt and use suitable equipment, taking account of the terrain, weather conditions, etc. You attempt any personal best speed run entirely at your own risk and Carlos Fandango / Popeyethewelder accepts no responsibility for injury, loss of life or any other loss. The wind powered land speed record stands at 126.2 mph set by Richard Jenkins in ‘Greenbird’ on Ivanpah Dry lake on the morning of March 26th 2009.
1. All Rights Reserved. All pages and text on this web site are the property of the carlos fandango aka popeyethewelder Pages, photographs, code or other content from Popeyethewelder.com may not be redistributed or reproduced in any way, shape, or form without the written permission of carlos fandango aka popeyethewelder. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws. 2. Any Web site may link to any of the pages on Popeyethewelder.com. However, pages from Popeyethewelder.com may not be embedded in a frame from the referring site, without the written permission of carlos fandango aka popeyethewelder. 3. Warranties, Popeyethewelder.com is provided without warranty of any kind. There are no guarantees that use of the site will not be subject to interruptions. All direct or indirect risk related to use of the site is borne entirely by the user. 4. All articles or descriptions provided by Popeyethewelder.com is provided as examples without warranties to performance, fitness, merchantability, and/or any other warranty (whether expressed or implied). 5. Popeyethewelder.com may contain inaccuracies or errors. Popeyethewelder.com Data makes no guarantees regarding the accuracy of the site or its contents. If you discover that the site or its contents contains errors, please contact us so these can be corrected.
The Kite Buggying Records